Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Welcome to Miller Time!

Greetings and welcome to the student section of the eClips blog. My name is Allen Miller and over the next few months I will be blogging here on a weekly basis.

In this first blog, I would like to tell you a little about myself and where I see the blog headed this semester. To be completely honest, I’m not entirely sure how this blog is going to fit in to the larger framework of the eClips site or how people are going to use it. This is the first time we’re communicating to the outside community in such a way, and so I’m just going to sort of experiment with a number of ideas. What I do know, is that the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well here at Cornell, and eClips is doing a great job of fostering that spirit. In successive blogs I’m going to show you a number of cool features on eClips, but first here’s a little about me.

I was born in Baltimore, Maryland on a cold, miserable day in May of 1989. Although I only lived in Baltimore for a grand total of two months, I’d like to say that I’ve got the east coast genes in my blood. Even now, in the middle of winter, you’ll often see me walking around in a sweater and flip-flops. Anyhow, my parents relocated to Los Angles shortly after my birth and I spent all of my childhood and adolescence in the city of angels. After eighteen years in the temperate west, I decided to come back east to Ithaca and attend Cornell. Currently, I’m a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, scheduled to graduate in the spring of 2011. For the longest time I was undecided as to what I would major in, but I’m starting to lean towards Economics and Information Science.

Outside the classroom, I’m involved in a number of extracurricular activities. I’m currently a Cornell Presidential Research Scholar and am doing my research under Professor Deborah Streeter. I am also the co-founder and current President of the Cornell Technology Initiative. During rush week, I ended up accepting a bid at Kappa Delta Rho and am currently going through the pledge process. For all you prospective students out there, I’m a member of the Red Carpet Society, so if you want to spend a night or two at Cornell and see what it’s really all about send me an email. Athletics were a huge part of my life back in high-school, but with all my current time commitments I’m forced to accept a more limited schedule. Usually, in the afternoon, you’ll find me in the weight room or on the basketball court—my two primary forms of exercise. On a personal note: I’m laid back and very approachable, so if you see me around campus feel free to say "hi" (email is also a great alternative).

So what will I be blogging about? The truth is I don’t know. As I mentioned earlier, we’re doing this for the first time so there is bound to be some experimentation and perhaps a little trial and error. Needless to say, I do have a number of ideas that I would like to discus in a forum-style setting. I plan on spending a good amount of time talking about information in eClips that I find useful. I would also like to talk about my own thoughts and experiences with the concept of entrepreneurship. In later blogs, I will have guest bloggers come in and post their own thoughts in my place. Most importantly, I am open to suggestions. If you have an idea for the blog send it my way.

I think that’s about it for know. Next week I’ll be writing the first real blog, so check back later for more thoughts. In the meantime I encourage you to browse around and explore eClips — you are sure to find something of interest in our site.

Allen Miller
akm64@cornell.edu

No comments: