Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ever Want to Start Your Own Business?

Have you ever dreamed of becoming your own boss?

Well, I have. From earlier days when I made great profits by selling my used books at school, I have wanted to run my own business. As I got to interview more and more student entrepreneurs through my work with eClips at Cornell, I was inspired to create something of my own too while I'm still in school. I've been thinking for a while now and I got really excited by the idea of starting a small business as soon as possible.

If you feel the same way I do, you might enjoy taking a look at some successful student run businesses. The Cornell student entrepreneurs I have interviewed are taking courses here at Cornell while running their businesses on the side. I was really impressed by what they've been able to accomplish in their early 20s. They made very good use of their time to study and to work.

Take Sumit Mittal for example - the founder, CEO and CMO of SkillsBazaar. SkillsBazaar provides a platform for students where they can commercialize their skills. They can sell their skills to startup/small/mid-size/big companies or to other students/faculty members. Listen to Mittal discuss how SkillsBazaar came together...



It seems to me that the secret of their success stems from passion, good ideas and hard work. All the student entrepreneurs I interviewed are very passionate and confident individuals who are excited about becoming entrepreneurs. In addition, they all seemed to have good ideas to sell and strong networks of friends, teachers, and relatives to help them. Of course, it's not as easy as it sounds to launch a new business. It requires a lot of time and effort to implement the idea, to look for funding, to network, to launch your product, and to finally make profits.

But if you have the passion and the interest, then why not have a try?

It's just like what Sumit said "my business helps me wake up in the morning, I'm really excited about it and I think that is something that really makes my life better."





Tell me if you are still interested in starting your own business. Maybe we can be partners.

I'm serious.

By Rui Zhang
rz53@cornell.edu

No comments: