Friday, March 28, 2008

Following Your Passion

I am a great believer in following your passion. To me, the most important thing in my life is to do what I love and to be the kind of person I want to be. One of my hobbies is climbing mountains and there are a great number of extraordinary mountains in China. With a backpack on my back and a pair of good sneakers on my feet, I would climb to the top of a mountain and feel like the happiest person on earth.



When it comes to starting a business, I also believe that following your passion is very important. Among all the student entrepreneurs that I interviewed so far, Constanza Ontaneda is a good example. She followed her passion of design and opened a fabulous fashion company of her own, C.S.O.R.K. Peru

During our interview, she told me, “I want to do what I like and I want to do it to the full extent, give it a 110% and do it well.”

Another good example of a passionate student entrepreneur is Kerry Motelson. For her, entrepreneurship is “a passion for doing something that you love and putting action behind your words”. Kerry found her passion in horseback riding when she was 3 years old and that’s why she developed Motelson Equestrian Academy and started offering horseback riding lessons when she was still a teenager.

There is a Chinese saying that states, "The best time in your life to follow your passion is when you are young. Because when you are young, you have the greatest physical capacity and lots of time and chances to try, to fail, to take risks, and to succeed. Starting to do something you truly love when you are still young can lead to an extremely satisfying life."

Can you turn your passion into a successful business?

By Rui Zhang
rz53@cornell.edu

No comments: